ANSAN FILIPINO COMMUNITY IN SOUTH KOREA
A Silent Farewell

By Galilea on 4:23 PM

Filed Under:

A Message from Father Noel Ferrer


My dear friends! Greetings of Peace from the pearl of the orient seas, the Philippines!

Six months after my arrival in Korea which was on September 3, 2001, I already had doubts of being able to stay long in Korea. With the help of some Filipino Religious Missionaries and SVD confreres, I was able to struggle and survive but I still carry with me great feelings of uncertainty and lack of self‐fulfillment in my chosen vocation. When I read the book of Fr. Eugene entitled “Breaking Bread Together,” that speaks about our apostolate with the migrants, I was convinced that I could be of help to the Region. So, I was able to finish my term of stay in Korea.

Three years ago when I had my first home vacation in the Philippines, I already had an earnest desire of not going back to Korea. While in the Philippines, I wrote Fr. Eugene, my Regional Superior in Korea at that time, that I wanted to be transferred to the Philippines. He asked me, however, to think more about my decision. On that vacation, I met Fr. Jerome Adriatico, the Provincial Superior of the North and I expressed to him my desire to work in his Province. He suggested for me to extend my stay in Korea for another three years and continue to discern. This was good advice which I have followed.

Many things have happened to me after I came back from that vacation. After my work at the Baby’s Home, I was appointed Director of Galilea and the Chaplain of the Filipino community in Ansan. I was also given the chance to celebrate Mass in Korean to the parishioners of Wongok Parish. I could say that those were my fruitful years. I learned more about “mission”.

In spite of the fact that I am doing well in my apostolate and in the SVD community, at least from my own perspective, I still want to leave Korea. I know in my heart that it is time for me to leave. I do feel that this is the right time for me to come back to the Philippines to do what I have wanted and longed to do.

I am longing to work in a school as a Campus Minister. I’m also wishing so much to work in a parish. Now, it’s seven years in priesthood for me but never had a real parish exposure. I’m very much interested to do formation work. I took the course that led to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Commerce major in Accountancy. I worked in Philippine National Bank, Urdaneta City branch for 5 years before I entered priesthood. I would be very happy if I could apply my knowledge in my ministry.

Since Father Provincial’s response was positive and welcoming, I know deep within I have to go. This is the right time to transfer since there will be reshuffling of personnel in the Philippine Northern Province.

I have meditated, reflected and prayed a lot for this decision. I can say that in my whole life in Korea, I never stopped meditating on this matter. I preferred not to inform the community before I leave because I don’t like goodbyes. I will be working in the Divine Word Seminary and Divine Word College in Urdaneta City.

I pray that you forgive me for my decision. Six years in Korea has been a blessing, but it is more than enough for me. While my time there in Korea has been growthful and blessed, I need to listen also to my heart. I pray hard that you will understand my heart’s desire.

Thank you very much. I will surely miss you all.

0 comments for this post